Every year Dry Stone Canada hosts a festival with a partner community to promote the dry stone craft. Wallers (professional and hobbyists) from all across North America attend the festival to do a special build and to make new friends and get reacquainted with old ones too (Facebook can only do so much).
Dry Stone Canada is pleased to announce that our 2017 festival will be held at St. Mark’s Anglican Church in the village of Barriefield (Kingston, Ontario) Sept 30th to Oct 1st.
The focus of our festival this year will be the restoration of the walls at the entrance to the church grounds. Several years ago the walls had been moved to accommodate the expansion of the municipal road allowances.
And now the walls will be rebuilt to their original design.
It includes a beginner workshop that will enable enthusiasts to work alongside experienced wallers.
More information on the workshop is here:
Frontenac Heritage Foundation
Celebrating 45 years as a non-profit charity, the Frontenac Heritage Foundation is collaborating with Dry Stone Canada, the Barriefield Village Association, and St. Mark’s Church in Barriefield to rebuild the stone walls which flank the church entrance for Dry Stone Canada’s 2017 International Festival.
Professional wallers will be attending from across Canada, the U.S. and United Kingdom. People from across the region are expressing an interest in volunteering, signing up for workshops, visiting the displays, and bringing their kids for the children’s workshop.
About St. Mark’s
The Barriefield Heritage Conservation District is one of three established Heritage Conservation Districts in Kingston. Barriefield Village sits on a high embankment on the eastern shore of the Great Cataraqui River (a portion of the Rideau Canal World Heritage Site). It is located near the intersection of Highway 2 and Kingston Road 15, adjacent to Fort Henry (a National Historic Site of Canada), and CFB Kingston in the former Township of Pittsburgh, which is now part of the City of Kingston.
Barriefield has a long association with the history of European settlement and military activity in the Kingston area. Named after the commissioner of the Kingston Naval Dockyard, Commodore Sir Robert Barrie (in 1820), Barriefield Village was established around 1814 as a result of the need for developable land for housing. At this time, there was increased activity in the area in response to the War of 1812 and the reconstruction of Fort Henry in the 1830’s.
This quaint village has a distinctive building style typically consisting of low profile one-and-a-half storey homes of wood frame or stone construction. Buildings are primarily single detached residences with a few semi-detached or row-type houses. Although many buildings and properties have been altered over time, and new buildings have been added to the Village, the overall nineteenth century rural character of the Village of Barriefield has been retained.