Dry Stone Canada is pleased to add a special workshop in the week leading up to the festival. The Back Kitchen, Amherst Island’s community restaurant (and our culinary supplier for the festival), would really like a wood fire pizza oven. So, we thought we could incorporate a workshop to do this. Ken Curran of Dry Stone Walling Association of Ireland (DSWAI) is going to lead this project and as part of the workshop is also going to offer instruction on how to make hot-lime mortar.
This workshop is for persons experienced both in dry stone construction and mortar based construction.
DAY 1 (Theory&Practical) Historic mortars an introduction
- Identification of mortars and looking at local examples
- Mortar sampling and testing
- Classification of lime mortars and lime mortar science
- Sand testing and selection
- Setting out and preparation for practical workshop
- Clay screening and arrival at a yield
- Mortar specification mixing techniques
DAY 2 (Practical)
- Begin building a Pizza Oven with Hot lime-stabilized clay mortar
DAY 3 (Practical)
- Building a pizza oven dome with hot-lime mortar
- Insulating a pizza oven with lime-stabilised clay mortar
DAY 4 (Practical)
- Building a pizza oven surround and chimney with hot-lime stabilised clay mortar
DAY 5 (Practical)
- Completion of pizza oven build
- Pointing the stonework with a ‘hybrid mix’
- Aftercare of lime mortars
Date is Monday Sept 9th to Friday Sept 13th.
Fee is $750. This covers meals and accommodations.
Limit is 10 participants.
How to Register:
- Fill out The Back Kitchen Pizza Oven Workshop Registration Form
- Read and sign The Back Kitchen Pizza Oven Workshop Waiver
- Send us this paperwork
- Send payment
The workshop fee is $750 per person.
- Cheque, e-transfer, or PayPal
- Make cheque payable to: Dry Stone Walling Association of Canada
- e-transfer is to Dry Stone Walling Association of Canada. Email is to email@example.com
- PayPal link is below
- Send completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or mail forms (and cheque) to:
- Bill Jeffers c/o Dry Stone Canada
- 24 Sword St.
- Toronto, On.
- M5A 3N2