Farm to Table/Stone to Wall
Walling Workshop at the Dry Stone Canada Festival on Amherst Island
As part of our festival we will be offering a beginner/intermediate workshop on building a classic farm wall. We will be using local stone from the island to build a 80-100 foot wall at Topsy Farms. Participants will work alongside seasoned wallers (professional and amateur) to build the wall for the farm over two days. The wall is the main build for our festival.
Instructors and experienced wallers will assist workshop participants in learning the basics of walling technique and applying these skills to build the wall. Those enrolled in the workshop will work alongside experienced wallers, with a mix of learning basic walling standards set out by Dry Stone Walling Association of Great Britain and ‘learning by doing’. A 15-20 foot section of wall will be pre-built ahead of time so that workshop participants can see and understand the style of wall they are building with the team. We will set up a ‘buddy system’ for new wallers to ensure a quality learning experience during the festival build.
- Saturday, September 29 and Sunday, September 30
- Time both days: 09:00 to 16:00
- Lunch, dinner, and snacks are included
- You will be contacted by our Hospitality Coordinator to fill out a festival hospitality form once you register. Festival camping, local BnB, and billets available.
Festival Context and Location
- Workshop participants are part of the festival! Attend talks with international guests on Friday and Saturday nights, and meet wallers from across Canada and around the world.
- Directions: http://bit.ly/DSCan2018TopsyDirections
- Topsy Farms Location: http://bit.ly/DSCan2018TopsyMap
- The Ferry: http://www.amherstisland.on.ca/ferry.htm
- About Amherst Island: http://thelodgeonamherstisland.com/about-amherst.php
- Safety glasses
- Safety boots (if you have them)
- Gloves (fyi – expensive gloves get shredded just as quickly as cheap ones)
- Appropriate clothing. We work in all weather conditions.
How to Register:
- Fill out Topsy Farms Walling Workshop 2018 Registration Form
- Read and sign Topsy Farms 2018 Walling Workshop Waiver
- Send us this paperwork
- Send payment
The workshop fee is $250 per person.
- Cheque or via paypal
- Make cheque payable to: Dry Stone Walling Association of Canada
- Send completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or mail forms (and cheque) to:
- Bill Jeffers c/o Dry Stone Canada
- 24 Sword St.
- Toronto, On.
- M5A 3N2