Walling Workshop at the Dry Stone Canada Festival on Amherst Island
As part of our festival we will be offering a beginner/intermediate workshop extending a curved wall on the property at The Lodge on Amherst Island. Participants will work alongside seasoned wallers (professional and amateur) to build the wall over two days. The wall is one of the major builds for our festival.
Instructors and experienced wallers will assist workshop participants in learning the basics of walling technique and applying these skills to build the wall. Those enrolled in the workshop will work alongside experienced wallers, with a mix of learning basic walling standards set out by Dry Stone Walling Association of Great Britain and ‘learning by doing’. A 15-20 foot section of wall will be pre-built ahead of time so that workshop participants can see and understand the style of wall they are building with the team. We will set up a ‘buddy system’ for new wallers to ensure a quality learning experience during the festival build.
Curved walls are technically challenging. We advise wallers with some previous experience or having taken previous workshops to register to ensure a positive experience for all. If you are a totally new waller, please check our other festival workshops and join the fun!
- Saturday, September 14 and Sunday, September 15
- Time both days: 09:00 to 16:00
- Lunch, dinner, and snacks are included
- You will be contacted by our Hospitality Coordinator to fill out a festival hospitality form once you register. Festival camping, local BnB, and billets available.
Festival Context and Location
Workshop participants are part of the festival! Attend talks with international guests on Friday and Saturday nights, and meet wallers from across Canada and around the world.
- Safety glasses
- Safety boots (if you have them)
- Gloves (fyi – expensive gloves get shredded just as quickly as cheap ones)
- Appropriate clothing. We work in all weather conditions.
How to Register:
- Fill out The Lodge Festival 2019 Walling Workshop Registration Form
- Read and sign The Lodge Festival 2019 Walling Workshop Waiver
- Send us this paperwork
- Send payment
The workshop fee is $250 per person.
- Cheque, e-transfer, or PayPal
- Make cheque payable to: Dry Stone Walling Association of Canada
- e-transfer is to Dry Stone Walling Association of Canada. Email is to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PayPal link is below
- Send completed forms to email@example.com
- Or mail forms (and cheque) to:
- Bill Jeffers c/o Dry Stone Canada
- 24 Sword St.
- Toronto, On.
- M5A 3N2