About our Workshops
Our workshops are designed to be a learning opportunity for anyone interested in the art and craft of dry stone. While each workshop may be slightly different in type of structure (wall, retaining wall, arch, bridge, folly), type of stone (field, quarried, flat, round, etc.), and may be a new build or a restoration, the basics of building are fundamentally the same.
The basic guidelines to build are rather straightforward, and one weekend will give you a good understanding of how to build and how to recognize a well built structure. And while there are many ways to build (as culture and geography dictates) we follow the Dry Stone Walling Association United Kingdom (DSWAUK) standards.
To participate, you do not need any particular skill, or tools, or feel you may not be strong enough. As long as you are interested in learning you will be able to do this.
Our instructors are skilled stone masons and have certification in both dry stone construction and instruction. As well, we utilize experienced member volunteers to assist the instructors in order to ensure more oversight and a better participant/instructor ratio.
Our workshops are community oriented and inclusive. We promote a fun and relaxed environment. We will expect you to ask questions, ask for assistance, engage with your fellow participants, and most of all to enjoy yourself.
Upcoming workshops for 2020:
Here is the list of events that are currently planned for 2020. Select the workshop to access the relevant information, registration forms, and payment options.
Unfortunately all of the below workshops have been cancelled.
We do hope to have them in 2021, as many of these are recurring. So although no workshops in 2020, please check in February 2021, as we hope to have these all scheduled (and in generally the same time period).
- May 2-3: Arch Build Workshop, Merickville, Ontario
- May 23-24: Wall Restoration Workshop, Franktown, Ontario
- May 30-31: Wall Build Workshop, Toronto, Ontario
- June 6-7: Retaining Wall Restoration Workshop, Bishop’s House, St. Raphael’s, Ontario
- June 6-7: Wall New Build Workshop, Cuddy Gardens, Strathroy, Ontario
- Aug 8-9: Wall Restoration Workshop, Campbellford, Ontario
- Aug 22-33: Wall Restoration, Cherry Hill Cemetery, Nova Scotia
- October 3-4: Wall Restoration Workshop, Scottsdale Farm, Georgetown, Ontario